Saturday, December 11, 2010

Chipotle and Sweet Potato Shrimp Chowder

Let me start by saying that this isn't my recipe. I got the idea from my favorite food page, The Food In My Beard.

I did however make several changes,the most notable is that I used Shrimp instead of fish.

Dan from Food in my Beard does a much better job of detailing the job than I ever could. Instead of going into the details, I'm just going to show the two recipes and hightlight the differences.

The Original (From Food In My Beard)
1/2 lb bacon, chopped into 1 inch segments
5 large sweet potatoes, diced into half inch squares
1 celery heart, diced
2 small onions, diced
2 cuban peppers, diced
6 chipotles from a can, seeded and diced
2 cartons of vegetable stock
1 pint cream
1 and 1/2 lbs fresh white fish like halibut, haddock, or cod, diced into one inch squares


Mine
1/4 lb bacon, chopped into 1 inch segments
1/4 lb of Pancetta

5 large sweet potatoes, diced into half inch squares
4 celery stalks, diced
2 medium onions, diced
8 cubanelles, diced
1 can of Chipotles in Adobo sauce

2 cartons of vegetable stock
1.5 pints whole milk
1 and 1/2 lbs Shrimp


My changes are in bold. This soup was really good, but I should have put more shrimp in and used less stock to make it thicker. The entire can of peppers might be too much for some people, perhaps I should have seeded them too?

All in all, the soup was fantastice. Sweet and spicy (and not in the Chinese food way)

No comments:

Post a Comment