Wednesday, July 14, 2010

14JUL2010- Breakfast sausage

Meat in tube form is one of the great joys in life -Anthony Bourdain

Damn, this was delicious, but a huge pain in the ass. I'm already putting this under the not quite worth the effort catagory.

I started with a 4 lb chunk of Boston Butt. Which isn't actually porky pig's ass, but his shoulder.


In order for sausage to fit inside the tube it needs to be ground, and in order to be ground it needs to be cut into chunks.
Sausage needs a source of fat, and normally fatback is used. I couldn't find fatback, so I used Bacon and cut down on the salt that I added later. This is the chunked pork with 1lb of bacon also chunked.





I fed it through this beast. It took at least an hour




Finally it was all ground. If I do it again, I might use a food processor. To the ground meat I added about (I eyeballed it):
2 TBS Fresh Sage
1 TBS Fresh Thyme
1Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1TBS Red Pepper Flakes
2 TBS Brown Sugar
Ground Pepper
About 1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt.





I did the same thing as Alton Brown did. The good part begins about halfway through.



The final results


No comments:

Post a Comment